We don’t think it is an either/or situation. Racks can compliment bikepacking bags, and vice versa. But we do think there are advantages to racks:
- Cargo racks are ideal for small people with small bikes, who don’t have the frame capacity for soft bags.
- Cargo racks also allow for more carrying capacity, for those of us who want to carry more food and clothing, or a trombone. Just sayin’.
- Racks allow for the weight to be carried lower on the bike, which generally allows for better handling.
- Racks require no adjustment to suspension settings.
- Racks require no adjustment to your cockpit and do not compromise your bike fit.
- Carrying a backpack that has more than a hydration pack is horribly uncomfortable for long days in the saddle and just dumb. There are less painful methods of birth control!