How can we help?
Well, first of all, every bike has a wheel and a center of a wheel, so this allows us to mount Old Man Mountain racks on pretty much any bike with a thru axle. Additionally, there are a few other benefits:
- All the weight is carried on the axle, which is the most secure, durable and lowest mounting point on the bike.
- On eyelet-mounted racks, the bolts are in shear, which is fairly weak when stressed over time. Our axles provide a physical interface for the rack that is far stronger for carrying load.
- Axle mounted racks can be used on suspension bikes and require no adjustment to suspension settings
We don’t think it is an either/or situation. Racks can compliment bikepacking bags, and vice versa. But we do think there are advantages to racks:
- Cargo racks are ideal for small people with small bikes, who don’t have the frame capacity for soft bags.
- Cargo racks also allow for more carrying capacity, for those of us who want to carry more food and clothing, or a trombone. Just sayin’.
- Racks allow for the weight to be carried lower on the bike, which generally allows for better handling.
- Racks require no adjustment to suspension settings.
- Racks require no adjustment to your cockpit and do not compromise your bike fit.
- Carrying a backpack that has more than a hydration pack is horribly uncomfortable for long days in the saddle and just dumb. There are less painful methods of birth control!
Yes! As long as your rear hub is a 12mm thru-axle, then we are compatible with e-bikes. And by the way – you are no less a cyclist with an e-bike. E-bikes are great for hauling gear. Be sure to adhere to trail and bike path regulations, though!
If you use the Fit Kit Finder with the correct information on your bike, we guarantee the rack will fit your bike.
The weight limit of an Old Man Mountain rack is 75 pounds (or 34 kilograms) evenly distributed. However, the quality of ride will diminish with the more weight you put on your rack. We suggest spreading your total weight load to be 40% on the front wheel and 60% on the rear wheel.
All panniers work with Old Man Mountain racks! What about Ortlieb? Yes! What about Vaude? Yes, those too. Even smaller brand panniers work with Old Man Mountain racks. The rack is designed to work with all brands of panniers.
WARRANTY, SHIPPING & RETURNS FAQs
Again, it depends on where you are. Go to our Shipping page for details (link)
Shipping costs can vary, depending on location. Once you place items in the cart and enter your address you will see your shipping costs. Our warehouse is located in Bend, Oregon USA.
Our shipping costs are flat rate, so you only pay for the first rack or Fit Kit. So add another rack or Fit Kit for no additional shipping charges. See if your riding partner or neighbor needs a rack.
Yes, because our racks carry the majority of the weight on the axle. All modern carbon bikes are built to meet or exceed the strength of their metal brothers.
Sure, a few pointers include:
- Where possible, use the frame upper eyelet mounts to attach the extenders. Our pucks and seatpost clamp are great alternatives but if your frame or fork provide upper mounts, by all means use them.
- However, do not use lower fender or rack eyelets to mount your OMM rack. The whole point is to use the axle, which is stronger. Our axles and Fit Kits interlock to provide physical support for the rack. A lower eyelet bolt is weak as the bolt is in what engineers call “Sheer” and does not take full advantage of our design.
- Extenders may need to be bent. Sometimes the width of our racks and the mounting points on your particular frame will require bending the Extenders to get the best fit. Don’t hesitate to do this.
Yep, we sure do. You will get instructions when you purchase a rack. You can also find our instructions here (link).
FIT KIT FAQs
Sorry, we do not fit bikes with internally geared hubs.
Sorry, we do not fit bikes with nutted axles.
Sorry, we do not offer complete racks for 5mm Quick Release Skewers.
We acknowledge that there are many great bikes out there with traditional Quick Release (QR) skewers, which we are not targeting with our current products. However we feel the need to focus our efforts and our products. To some it may be ironic that a company calling ourselves Old Man Mountain we are looking to the future and are focusing only on racks designed to fit on thru axle equipped bikes. We feel there are numerous options, from great brands, that offer excellent products targeting QR skewers and eyelets, Google is your friend.
For those of not familiar, thru axles are the new ‘standard’ for attaching wheels to the frame as opposed to the traditional 5mm Quick Release Skewers. Thru axles come in either 15 or 12mm diameters. Since they are much larger in diameter than 5mm skewers, they are stiffer and offer greater support for our racks. (Additional explanation linked here)
No problem! Our pucks are designed to accept metal hose clamps. Just don’t use them on carbon frames.
We supply special high-strength UV-resistant zip ties because they are safe for use with various frame materials and they are easy to install. Here’s a link so you can order replacement parts as needed (link….)
We provide protective clear tape to protect the finish of your frame or fork. It may need to be replaced after extended use. You order more from us here: Link to Protective Tape
The upper attachment of the racks uses the pucks only to prevent the rack from rotating around the axle. The vast majority of the weight is on the axle.
The beauty of the design of Old Man Mountain racks is their modularity. Your OMM rack frame will fit your bike, your next bike, and probably your next bike. The Fit Kit is the key. Each Fit Kit contains a thru axle designed to replace your stock thru axle. Also included are all the components to secure the rack to the frame or fork to prevent it from rotating around the axle.